Monday, June 18, 2012

Don't Sell Yourself Short

When starting out as a quasi-amateur/professional photographer its very tempting to say yes to almost every request placed before you.  The glimmer of getting one's name and photos out into the "real world" is pretty enticing.  Its easy to sell oneself short thinking thoughts like these...

"well, I'm not well known..."  

"I don't do this as my career"

"I have to get my work out there some how if I'm going to go far."

You get the idea.   While each statement holds a tiny bit of truth the reality is that even the most amateur photographer needs to hold some pride in their work and themselves.  There are offers that can be refused and there are prices you can stick firm to.  

Often I get emails asking to use my photos for one thing or another.  This presented a couple of challenges for me... what in the world should I ask for a price, and what should I ask for in return or as stipulation for use of a photo?  While there are no set prices for photo use and you really need to feel out what the person making the offer is willing to pay there is one aspect I refuse to bend on.

Giving credit where credit is due.

No matter how enticing an offer is you need to make sure that someway, somehow your photograph will be used in a way where it is credited to you as the photographer.  What most photographers do is art, not stock imagery.  If someone ever offers you to pay you for your image, but not necessarily give you credit do not accept the offer unless you are prepared to give up total rights to your work.  Lack of credit leads to anonymity.  While being anonymous doesn't bother everyone I highly stress for every fledgling photographer to avoid it.

You're worth a byline for your work, no matter what its used for.  


3 comments:

  1. Pexels is a free stock photography website.
    It wasn’t until last year that I learned about this site (thanks to a reader), and I’m so glad I did.
    I absolutely love Pexels. It’s the only website I use when I need free stock images for my blog posts.
    I think this could actually be one of the most useful websites for bloggers. Especially in a time where visuals are a must for your blog content.
    Images on Pexels are free for personal and commercial use. They can be modified, distributed, and do not require attribution.
    If you’re looking for more websites that offer free images, check out my post Where to Find Free Images for Your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Stock Photos
    Finding high-quality, free to use images is a major battle every blog writer fights. Great imagery is a crucial piece of a great blog article. The next entry on our list of the best blogging tools – My Stock Photos – helps you do just that – find amazing, high-quality stock images. Free of charge.
    You really can’t beat free. Just don’t go overboard on adding tons of random pictures to your posts now that you have access to them. Make sure they’re all relevant and add value.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all comments! If you have a question please ask away and I will certainly reply.